The Windmill Hill Windmill Trust was registered as Charity No. 1054504 on 11th April 1996. It is established to restore, preserve and protect the Windmill at Windmill Hill.
The Key features of the mill are:
- The largest post mill in the country
- Second tallest post mill in the country at 15.5 metres
- The tallest post mill in Sussex
- The largest hand turned post mill
- Contains the only sweep governor in existence
- Has a unique outer roundhouse and is the landmark that gives the village its name.
The Key features of the restoration are:
- Largest and most ambitious mill restoration in the UK
- Authentic repairs wherever possible
- 3-D computer modeling to assess stresses on key components
- Braces to make the ladder stronger
- Automatic turning device
- Laminated timbers for strength
- Awarded £577,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the largest grant for the restoration of an individual mill.
Text and Image © Windmill Hill Windmill Trust